The NC Education Cloud (NCEdCloud) will provide a highly reliable, highly available, server infrastructure supporting the K-12 education enterprise statewide. Specifically, we will facilitate migration from LEA-hosted server infrastructure to cloud-hosted infrastructure as a service. The primary objective of the NCEdCloud is to provide a world-class IT infrastructure as a foundational component of the NC education enterprise. Moreover, the NCEdCloud will provide for:
- Equity of access to compute and storage resources;
- Efficient scaling according to aggregate NC K-12 usage requirements;
- Consistently high availability, reliability and performance;
- A common infrastructure platform to support emerging instructional and data systems;
- Sustainable and predictable operational cost.
Robust technology infrastructure will support data-driven decision-making, for the development of and access to online instructional resources, and to transition the focus of district technical resources from infrastructure to users and instruction. Furthermore, prudent one-time investments in technology infrastructure service platforms buy down long-term IT costs, providing sustainable funding for new instructional and leadership programs.